Hand – Preparing for the 2026 Harvest: Defoliation Recommendations for a Variable Crop

As we enter full swing for defoliation and harvest on the 2026 cotton crop, we should probably reflect first on how we got to this point. Thank goodness, in 2026 you all got us back over 1 million acres planted. Planting was something of a roller coaster (too dry, followed by too wet), and then some parts of Georgia turned off dry for a length of time that seemed biblical while others caught spotty rains. This has created a multitude of situations across our state that could complicate defoliation decisions.

The first thing I want to remind everyone about is that timeliness goes a long way – not just in maximizing yield and fiber quality, but also going into 2027. Many in different parts of the state have fought jassids, whiteflies, or both. Defoliating on time not only helps us get out of that fight for 2026, but also helps our friends in the vegetable business this fall and going into 2027. The longer these pests are on living cotton they continue to feed and reproduce – lets break that cycle, which can reduce the populations going into 2027.

Looking at the forecast over the next two weeks, it looks like this week may be the last “warm” week for a while. Not to say it won’t warm back up after two weeks, but certainly something to keep in mind for two reasons. First, the drop in temps is significantly going to affect the efficacy of some of our defoliant products. And secondly, it is going to slow the development of our later planted crop as well. A lot can certainly change – but just need to be aware of these two items in particular.

There are likely some reading this that were in some of those biblically dry areas of Georgia and want to know “How cheaply can I defoliate this crop and get it picked?” Great question, and I actually think we can do so pretty cheaply. It is unlikely that there are many bolls to open in these type of situations, so there isn’t much need for a boll opener. For the most part we just need to get leaves off, but there is likely some regrowth. What I would do this week is gonna be different than what I would do next week, strictly based on temperatures in the forecast. If that dryland cotton is ready this week I would strongly recommend going ahead and spraying it – and I would use either thidiazuron plus tribufos (Dropp + Folex) or substitute the Folex for a PPO herbicide (ETX, Aim, Reviton, etc.). It might even be a good time to utilize a 6-8 oz/acre rate of a Ginstar type product (Cutout/Adios/etc.). Going into next week there is no need to utilize the thidiazuron as efficacy drops as temps go down. Thus – we will shift to likely using either the ginstar (8-10 oz/acre) or a PPO herbicide alone to get the leaves off in these dryland situations with low potential.

In terms of irrigated cotton or dryland that caught rains it is business as usual with respect to defoliation. But if it is ready, I would look hard at spraying it before Thursday. Just to be able to get away with lower rates due to higher temps and to get done before forecasted rainfall this weekend. Remember that some defoliant products (thidiazuron or Dropp/Freefall/Klean-pik/etc.) have LONG rainfree periods (24 hours). This is not the time to have to make extra trips!!

Speaking of extra trips and doing it right the first time, keep in mind droplet sizes and water volume when spraying defoliants. Smaller droplets generally do better than larger droplets, and more water always does better than less. If possible, shoot for 15 GPA or better with medium sized droplets. DO NOT FORGET THE LESSONS FROM UPW AT THE FINISH LINE!!! All agrochemicals should be applied on target – defoliants included.

I occasionally get calls about one vs two application defoliation strategies. In work I have done in the past, there is no benefit to Georgia growers for splitting applications and going twice. So for those that are thinking about this, I would put a full load in the first time to try and get it done in a single application and if we need to clean it up we will (but ideally we won’t have to).

A couple of other common questions surround the use of adjuvants or using diuron in a defoliation strategy. In my mind, adjuvants only need to go in the tank if the label requires it. For example, if you elect to use Aim, ETX, Reviton, or other PPO herbicides, an adjuvant is required. However, for the standard 3-way, it is not. Adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff to the tank can get us in some trouble we don’t need to be in. As for utilizing diuron as part of a defoliation tank mix, the only legal way to utilize diuron as a defoliant is to spray a formulation of diuron + thidiazuron (Ginstar/Cutout/Adios/etc.). Once we get into next week I imagine some will switch to these type of products.

Last thing – we are allegedly staring down the barrel of a “Super El Nino”. I am no climatologist but Dr. Kemerait tells me that means it is supposed to get wet. Let’s get this crop defoliated and out of the field before this thing sets in. The last thing any of us wants is for this harvest to unnecessarily drag out.

Please stay in touch with your local UGA County Extension Agent on up-to-date defoliation recs, as I send them an email every Monday this time of year with my thoughts/recs. We will also continue doing the Talkin’ Cotton Podcast, and we did some regional episodes on the Cotton Specialist Corner Podcast on defoliation considerations that everyone may find interesting.

Stay safe out there – we are all hoping for a safe and bountiful harvest for you guys and gals!